Thursday 4 October 2012

Istanbul part two: carpet shopping, a haircut and other things

A rug is the one 'big' souvenir we thought we would buy in Turkey. As I was the most interested family member, Adrian tasked me with finding out what makes a good rug and research prices. It was also my job to do the actual purchasing. While doing my research a man in one shop told me I have a nice smile and look clean. Clean? After six weeks travelling, I took it as a compliment!

Many of you will know that I am not the world's most accomplished bargain hunter and price-negotiating does not come naturally. So, off I set with a rug we liked in mind and a plan. The end result was that, while I managed to buy the rug for less than the original price, I offered at our agreed maximum within about three minutes of starting the discussion with the men in the shop beginning and for no apparent reason. It must have been one of the easiest deals they did all day. Hmmm. Perhaps best to practice on something cheaper first next time. Still, we have a lovely more-expensive-than-it-could-have-been rug winging it's way to New Zealand. You can all admire it when you visit.

Adrian decided it was time for a haircut, so when I arrived back from my rug-buying expedition still a little stunned, he went off to find a barber. I'll leave him to write about that experience; it was a little more exciting than he expected...

[Adrian: it was all going smoothly until he asked me "Kebab?" whilst waving a cotton bud kinda thing at me. Never shy about a free mixed grill, I said yeah sure why not... He then soaked the bud in lighter fluid and promptly set my ear hairs on fire. I may have looked a touch surprised at seeing my ears on fire in the mirror; he began laughing and danced around the chair waving this burning torch at me ears cackling "Turkish Kebab! Turkish Kebab!" and we both ended up having a great old laugh. No lasting damage and I'd guess it'll be a while before I need it done again... I'm thinking a lifetime!]

Our apartment-owner offered babysitting, so we decided to take him up on it and go out for dinner. The babysitter lives across the road and brought her two children along, so we left them all settling in for an evening of fun. We had a delicious meal, enjoyed a night-time walk past the Blue Mosque and two or three hours on our own.

A couple of things we learned in Istanbul: check your restaurant bill, especially in touristy areas (we thought each of our meals was a lira or two more expensive than listed on the menu and the waiter was suspiciously quick to correct his 'mistake' when questioned); and it is probably a good idea to stay away from the tap water. Apparently it is okay, but lots of people (including locals) prefer bottled water. We had bottles, but out of habit I topped up my glass from the tap one night and have had a mildly unsettled stomach for the last three days. Nothing serious, but unpleasant all the same and I was very pleased to be staying put for a day or two afterwards!

Istanbul has playground everywhere, mist of which seem to have curly slides, much to Eleanor and Leo's delight. While we had a busy time sight-seeing we did manage to squeeze in a long visit to the nearest playground to our apartment.

The situation between Syria and Turkey is huge news here as you'd imagine. Things just seem to be getting worse in Syria, which is awful. As for us, there is no danger, we are a long way from the Syrian border and are not aware of it on a day-to-day basis at all.

Today was our first properly early start, a 4.50am(!) alarm so we could be at the docks for our ferry and bus trip to Canakkale.

No comments:

Post a Comment